Most homeowners leave their home’s circuitry unchecked, assuming that everything is in working order behind the scenes. However, many homes run into common electrical issues that can have costly consequences. Read on to learn about some serious problems that can happen when electric circuits malfunction and what you can do about them.
One of the main problems with faulty circuitry is poor current regulation. Excess electrical current results in a high output of heat, which can cause surrounding materials to catch fire.
If you’re faced with an electrical fire, never try to put it out with water. Instead, smother small electrical fires with baking soda or use a fire extinguisher, and then immediately turn the circuit off at the breaker. If the electrical fire is too big for you to put out with a fire extinguisher, alert your loved ones and evacuate the home immediately, and then call for professional help.
You can prevent electrical fires by having your circuitry assessed by a professional electrician and keeping an eye out for red flags, such as buzzing sounds or signs of melting plastic outlets.
When your circuitry is poorly insulated or old and corroded, it runs the risk of short-circuiting. The bright bolt of electricity that flashes through the air gap between two electrodes during short-circuiting is called an arc flash.
Arc flashes can be up to 35,000 degrees Fahrenheit, producing some of the highest temperatures known on Earth and burning four times hotter than the sun’s surface. If you see an arc flash, stay away from it. Immediately disconnect the faulty circuit from power at the breaker.
Normal wear and tear, poor installation, sub-par hardware and even dust and debris can be at fault for arc flashes. You can prevent arc flashes by keeping your circuitry in good repair and having an electrician confirm that your home’s electrical parts are up to current safety standards.
Appliance Shocks and Damage
Another issue that can arise when your electric circuits aren’t working properly is receiving a tingle or shock from your electrical appliances. Appliances such as dishwashers and dryers take a lot of power to run, but if there’s enough excess charge for you to feel it in your fingertips, then your circuitry isn’t functioning safely.
In addition to putting you at risk for electrical shock, the excess charge can damage your appliances by frying delicate circuit boards, and melting or otherwise ruining the controls.
You might not normally think to pay special attention to the circuitry in your home, but it’s well worth the effort to have your circuits assessed by an electrician to make sure everything is in peak condition and up to the most current safety standards.
Read more: What You Need to Know Before You Get a Tesla